Configuring for VM Environment

Here you can write your Problems with Backups.

Moderator: sepma

mmazurkiewicz
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

Configuring for VM Environment

Post by mmazurkiewicz » May 16th, 2012, 9:49 pm

I am trying to build an instance of Sesam for emergency use in a Disaster Recovery environment. So far I have Sesam installed on a SLES 11 virtual machine and do have a SCSI passthrough configured so that it sees the tape drive on the hardware. My overall virtual environment host is ESX 4.1, and I have a vCenter server running Windows 2008 R2 SP1.

The problem that I'm experiencing is that in Sesam, I can connect to the vCenter server and navigate through the server's local file structure, but I get an error when I try to see the list of virtual machines. I had a consultant implement my production environment so I didn't personally go through the steps to make Sesam work with the environment, which I think that I'm missing a step. Since I am trying to mirror my production environment, in my DR environment I have also created an client named for the server hardware that is running the virtual software. When I try to access this to create a backup task, just like my vCenter server I get the same error. The error that I'm getting is as follows:
STATUS-ERROR MSG=Error: VI SDK invoke exception:java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.netSocketPermission [server]:443 connect, resolve)

I am suspecting that I need to install something on the ESX system itself such as the CLI client, but I have been through the Wiki and have either missed or cannot find instructions. Any advise is greatly appreciated, thank you!

ossi1001

Re: Configuring for VM Environment

Post by ossi1001 » September 13th, 2012, 10:30 am

Hi,

you don't need to install additional software on the ESX server (up from version 4 of ESX). You just need the VDDK to access the ESX server.
The message "access denied" usually means, user name and password is not correct. But perhaps there are additional information above this error, which are responsible for this inherited error.

Greetings, ossi1001