Error while taking the backup of OES11-SP1 server

Here you can write your Problems with Backups.

Moderator: sepma

Dhawal Pawar
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

Error while taking the backup of OES11-SP1 server

Post by Dhawal Pawar » June 17th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Hi,

I install sesam-server 4.2.1 on OES11-SP1 server and Sesam client 4.2.1 on OES11-SP1 server (Sesam-novell client is installed along with sesam client).When i am trying to take the backup of the client , it is showing the error "SBC logging without final state message".

One more thing i need to ask is during the addition of the client if we choose OES-linux still it is asking for the Netware Password in Novell SMS tab.I am using OES on Suse linux then how can i provide Netware password.

cliogp

Re: Error while taking the backup of OES11-SP1 server

Post by cliogp » June 17th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Hi,

have you read the WIKI document ?

http://wiki.sepsoftware.com/wiki/index. ... ES_Netware

Is the sesam server (OES11) the same machine as your client ?
Can you backup the /etc of your client (a normal path backup, no TSA no SMDR functions included) ?

Please use the latest version of the sesam Novell client.

http://download.sep.de/netware/OES-Linu ... E.i586.rpm

The "Netware" password means the eDir password of your backup user. If you backup your NSS volumes/iFolder/eDir over TSA, the eDir user and password is required. Please see WIKI document.

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » June 17th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Hi,

I install the server using "sesam_srv-4.2.1-41_pg.sles11.x86_64(1).rpm" and on client i install sesam novell client using "sesam-novell-client-4.2.1-40.SuSE.i586 (1).rpm"along with sesam client .Both the machines are different (ie sesam server and sesam client). Novell-smdrd service is running on the client machine. While adding the client to the server i choose client operating system as "OES-Linux". All the remaining configuration i according to wikki document .I am only trying to take the backup of one NSS Volume.

I am able to take the backup successfully but it is not using SMS , as i enable the TSAFS logs before taking the backup , if it is using SMS i am expecting the TSAFS logs gets updated but i doesn't happen .

After that i try to restore the data ,but the backup task i performed is not in the TASK drop down menu list on the New restore task wizard screen.

cliogp

Post by cliogp » June 18th, 2013, 7:58 am

Hi,

can you browse the client, especially the "Novell Service", during creation of a backup task for the client. Which server is the datamover server for the client ? Is there the novell-smdrd service up and running and the sesam-novell-client installed ? Is SLP working ? Firewall ?

Please try tsatest on the oes client and also on the datamover (connect to the client).

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » June 18th, 2013, 8:45 am

Hi,

Yes , while creating the backup task i browse the "Novell Service" and select the data for backup , as the "sesam-novell" client is installed on the client server so i used that client as the data mover. Novell smdrd service is running fine . No firewall is there between the server and client. No SLP is configured.

As far as i believe it is not a connection problem because i am able to take the backup successfully . I think i missed some configuration step , i am using the default data store , drives , media-pools to take the backup. Still the problem is not solved ( TASK drop down menu list on the New restore task wizard screen is not showing the backup task ,only TEST-BACKUP task is present there)

Thanks
Dhawal

cliogp

Post by cliogp » June 18th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Hi,

I think there is a missing entry in the <sesam_var>/ini/sm_java.policy .

Please try

/opt/sesam/bin/sesam/sm_setup set_gui_allpermission

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » June 19th, 2013, 6:47 am

Yaah after giving all the permissions to GUI , i am successfully restore the clients data :) . Thanks

One more thing i need to ask is that " IS Sesam uses Xattr to perform backup/restore of Trustee rights and other extended attributes ? "

cliogp

Post by cliogp » June 19th, 2013, 8:13 am

Hi,

you can use the "classical" Novell backup type via TSA / SMDR. In this case all trustees etc. will backed up by the TSA.

Another way is the backup of NSS volumes with activated extended attributes on the NSS volume (see Novell OES NSS docu). In this case you create a "normal" backup task with backup type "path". Sesam will then save the trustees etc. with the extended attributes.

Clio