E009-Backup Error USB Drive

Here you can write your Problems with Backups.

Moderator: sepma

elagrew
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

E009-Backup Error USB Drive

Post by elagrew » June 20th, 2013, 11:37 am

I have this SLES 10SP4/OES2SP3 server with 2 external USB drives mounted to the File system. I have been having trouble getting backup to work with these disks. I should mention I have an identical server with a 1TB usb disk and it works fine...this server however does not.

The server has a tape drive, but that has failed and since it is a remote server and no tin the U.S. we decided it would be cheaper to have them buy a 1TB usb disk and we would backup to that. However I define the datastore and mediapool and media (everything good so far) and then try to backup...I get in the current message log: "E009-BACKUP Insufficient space on E005-MEDIA Archive action completed with error." It does not matter of I use the 1TB drive or the 500GB drive...same error message.

I CAN however, do a manual copy (cp -R -u -v /media/nss/DATA/users /media/Seagate/) to the drive with NO issues...it's just that Sesam will NOT backup to those drives not matter what I do. I have fully patched the server. I have uninstalled Sep Sesam and reinstalled. :(

I am thinking this is a rights issue...but I really do not know. Does anyone know HOW I can track down the issue and fix?

Thanks in Advance!

--El

cliogp

Re: E009-Backup Error USB Drive

Post by cliogp » June 20th, 2013, 11:50 am

Hi,

what version of sesam do you use ? What kind of backup to disk have you configured (DataStore, VTL) ?

Clio

elagrew

Post by elagrew » June 20th, 2013, 12:00 pm

sesam_srv-4.2.1-41_pg.sles10.x86_64.rpm and
sesam-novell-client-4.2.1-40.SuSE.i586.rpm

I have a datastore configured as the backup device...

--El

cliogp

Post by cliogp » June 20th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Hi,

please read this document and compare your configuration

http://wiki.sepsoftware.com/wiki/index. ... aStore_4.2

The DataStore use partition information to check, if there is enough space. The best practice is, to use one partition for one DataStore. No other data on this partition.

I think the problem is the watermark configuration. Hope the link will help.

Clio

elagrew

Post by elagrew » June 20th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Thanks Clio...I'll read it and let you know.

--El

elagrew

Post by elagrew » June 24th, 2013, 3:49 pm

I have read the configuration document...and I have it set up exactly as suggested. But still no joy. I uninstalled Sesam and re-installed... still the same, but I did notice something this time I missed before. When you install Sesam, it makes a test backup to make sure it is working properly...even though the install said Success! It failed on the test backup as well...so that was not even going to the datastore at all.

What can I look at to track this issue down? It is the ONLY server..out of 8 that have Sesam that is having this issue...I am completely stumped...and I might add I am not a linux guru either...so this is puzzling for me. :-)

Thanks in advance!

--El

cliogp

Post by cliogp » June 26th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Hi,

if the test backup fails, you have a problem in generally.
You can find any hints in:

/var/opt/sesam/var/log/lgc/sm_setup*

Check name resolution:

/opt/sesam/bin/sesam/sm_setup check_resolution <sesam srv name>

Disable firewall ( if enabled ), running SE Linux is not supported.

Or you can open an support ticket at SEP Support.

Clio

elagrew

Post by elagrew » September 11th, 2013, 11:05 am

I'd like to update everyone on this issue. It is solved. It turns out that there was a corrupt entry in the /etc/hosts file which did not properly identify the localhost as 127.0.0.1. Once this was fixed, everything started to work as it should have worked.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

--El