Fail to browse the cluster resources (NSS Volumes)

Here you can write your Problems with Backups.

Moderator: sepma

Dhawal Pawar
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

Fail to browse the cluster resources (NSS Volumes)

Post by Dhawal Pawar » July 29th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Hi,

I have two node OES cluster setup (Node_1 and Node_2). I install Sesam server 4.2.2.41 on node_1 and sesam client 4.2.2.41 + sesam-novell-client on node_2. As per the document "Sesam README for Novell OES Linux" i register the service smdr.novell in SLP ,Now here i have a doubt .
For example - Node_1 has ip-1.1.1.1 , Node_2 has ip-2.2.2.2 , Cluster ip is 3.3.3.3 and cluster resource ip is 4.4.4.4 .

1) First i run the cmd - "netstat -apn | grep 40193" on both nods and get the expected result .

2) Cluster Backup smdrd needs to bound to Cluster IP so i checked with "slptool findsrvs smdr.novell" command. Here also i get the expected result so i get to know that the cluster resources are registered but my cluster resource is not registered.

3)Document says "When using more than one IP address, the SLP has to recognize the correct IP. Check /etc/opt/novell/sms/smdrd.conf" i didn't get the exact meaning of this line so i skipped it .

4) Now to register IP of cluster i use "slptool register service:smdr.novell://4.4.4.4:413/RESOURCE_SERVER". Here "4.4.4.4" is my cluster resource ip.

5) Check with " slptool findsrvs smdr.novell" command and cluster resource is also resgistered .

6) With the same Cluster resource name , i add client in sesam server and try to browse the data .

Here i get the Error : scc-1135 :Error : Remote IP address could not be resolved :[gethostbyname() failed Try again ]
I already add the cluster resources name and IP to /etc/hosts file already.

Dhawal Pawar

Re: Fail to browse the cluster resources (NSS Volumes)

Post by Dhawal Pawar » July 29th, 2013, 2:06 pm

After so much troubleshooting and restarting the clusters many times now i am able to browse the resource . One more problem - I browse the resources under "Novell Services" but nothing is there to browse . I am expecting the cluster resources (NSS Volumes) there.

Possible cause :

1) I registered the IP of cluster using "slptool register service:smdr.novell://4.4.4.4:413/RESOURCE_SERVER". Here "4.4.4.4" is my cluster resource ip . Here what i need to give Cluster IP or Cluster-Resource IP.??

2) I skipped this step : "When using more than one IP address, the SLP has to recognize the correct IP. Check /etc/opt/novell/sms/smdrd.conf" what i need to check here..??

mcgyver

Post by mcgyver » July 29th, 2013, 5:35 pm

well, apart from the fact that you really should consider a proper SLP setup...

you definitely need the sesam novell client on the first node (which is running the sesam server), too. so in your offset there should be one box with "sesam server" and "sesam novell client" and the other one with "sesam client" and "sesam novell client". i'd generally recommend to run the server component outside of the cluster, but technically your offset will work just fine, provided you give the sesam server the chance to "talk novell" with the target by installing as stated above. if this doesn't work just drop a message here and we'll for sure find a solution.

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » July 30th, 2013, 5:34 am

Hi mcgyver,

i think there is some problem in SLP setup , can you please clarify these two points

1) While registering the IP of cluster using "slptool register service:smdr.novell://4.4.4.4:413/RESOURCE_SERVER". Here "4.4.4.4" is my cluster resource ip . what i need to give Cluster IP , Cluster-Resource IP or Cluster node IP ??

2) During SLP configuration do i need to change something in "/etc/opt/novell/sms/smdrd.conf" file ??

Thanks
Dhawal

mcgyver

Post by mcgyver » July 30th, 2013, 11:01 am

in a functional SLP offset you shouldn't have to register any service manually. but anyway:

for each NCP server object (which means both physical and virtual ones) there should be a corresponding slp registration for several services (e.g. bindery.novell, smdr.novell,...).
in order to backup a clustered resource you need an entry with the name of the virtual NCP server (which doesn't have to be the name of the cluster resources object) along with the ip address
of the corresponding resource. let's assume a resource (that's the object underneath the cluster container) called DATA_SERVER with a volume object called CLUSTERNAME_DATA,
the NCP server name SK-DATA and the resource ip address 10.1.1.97: the correct slp registration for smdr as shown by slptool should read

service:smdr.novell://10.1.1.97:413/SK-DATA,0

the trailing zero will likely be another number in your offset, depending on the type of DA and the time of the day :-)

there will never be an entry for the ip address of the master IP address resource.

you likely won't have to change the listener address in smdrd.conf. by default it takes the first PRIMARY address (the addresses of cluster resources are SECONDARIES).
you should doublecheck that noone tampered with the
cluster=enabe
line in tsafs.conf. that's actually which does the magic. netstat -anp |grep smdr should give you a listener for the addess of the physical node and for all nss resources currently active on a given node.

as mentioned you need the sesam-novell-client on all nodes (including the node running sesam server). all client nodes need the sesam server authorized with
sm_setup set_client name-of-sesam-server

a proper dns offset is of vital interest for sesam, there MIGHT be a problem if the name of the virtual NCP server object contains underscores, which doesn't have to
be tolerated by dns servers. while the resource wizards still suggest names with underscores you can opt for something else since early netware 5.0 days.
i've always done so, that's why i can't tell how sesam behaves on underscores in dns names.

in the sesam gui the resource should be of OS-type "OES-Linux", the accout name should be fully distinguished and typeless, such as ".admin.unit.org".
the backup task should be of type "Novell NSS file system", you'll find "Novell Services" in the browser window. in the example above there'll be a container named
"SK-DATA.LINUX Cluster File System" underneath.