Not able to browse the resources (EXT3 , btrfs) volumes

Here you can write your Problems with Backups.

Moderator: sepma

Dhawal Pawar
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

Not able to browse the resources (EXT3 , btrfs) volumes

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 6th, 2013, 5:48 am

Hello,

I have SEP sesam installed on OES server and one sesam client is installed on one more OES server ,all backup and restore of all NSS volumes works fine . Now i created some volumes with EXT3 and BTRFS file system . When i browse the data under "Novell services" , this volumes are not listed there. While adding the client to the Sesam GUI , under Novell SMS tab i provide "root" credentials to log in into the client.

Thanks
Dhawal

cliogp

Re: Not able to browse the resources (EXT3 , btrfs) volumes

Post by cliogp » August 7th, 2013, 11:56 am

Hi,

the "Novell Services" -> "<server name>.Linux(Netware) File System>" backup type is restricted to NSS File System volumes.

For back up NCP volumes on native Linux filesystems (ext3, reiserfs etc) use the "path" backup type.

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 13th, 2013, 10:21 am

Hi

I have file with trustees in btrfs/ext3 volumes , how can i take the backup of files along with their respective trustee metadata ? Do i need to enable xattr attribute while taking the backup ?

Thanks
Dhawal

cliogp

Post by cliogp » August 13th, 2013, 10:32 am

Hi,

how do you enable xattr on an non NSS volume ?

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 16th, 2013, 7:11 am

Hi,

ok actually i have a little confusion with xattr , but when volumes (Btrfs , ext3) are NCP enabled and any backup software takes the backup of NCP enabled Posix Volumes (Btrfs , ext3) it takes the backup of trustee metadata as well , as i see when we take "path backup" of Btrfs/Ext3 volumes sesam doesn't use sms to take the backup and it doesn't restore trustee metadata.So, is there any way to take the backup of Btrfs/Ext3 volumes using sesam along with file trustees metadata.??

cliogp

Post by cliogp » August 19th, 2013, 9:58 am

Hi,

yes, it's possible to backup non NSS NCP volumes via SMS.
Sesam prevents the browsing of non NSS filesystems in case of backup type "NOVELL NSS File System".
You can create a backup task, select "Backup type" = "NOVELL NSS File System" and add the "Source" (path) to your NCP volume manually. Then Sesam will use the SMDR/TSAFS modules.

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 19th, 2013, 10:52 am

Really Appreciate all your help. :)

Dhawal

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 19th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Hi,

I take the backup of Btrfs and restore it to new Btrfs ,trustees metadata are restored . When i take the backup from NSS volume and restoring it to Btrfs volume i am getting the following error :

Restore was not successful . 2013-08-19 16:17:49:sbc-1500;
Error : NWSMTSWriteDataSets:(0XFFFDFFB1) " (libtsafs.so 6.50.0334) An internal TSA error has occured .See error log for details".

Dhawal

cliogp

Post by cliogp » August 19th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Hi Dhawal,

backup / restore is only supported on the same filesystem (by SMDR), please see the Novell OES documentation.
-------------------------------
POSIX Compliant File Systems Limitations

Backing up and restoring Extended Attributes is supported within the same file system, but restoration is not supported across different file systems.

------------------------------
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oe ... apnj6.html

But now it's time to help me, please :-)

Can you try to backup/browse an NCP enabled, with NCS clustered POSIX volume via tsatest ? I get an tsa error, but I'm not sure if it's a configuration error or whats going wrong during the creation. Backup a non clusterd POSIX NCP volume with tsatest works fine.

Thanks

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 21st, 2013, 1:40 pm

Hi,

I want to know which type of NCP enabled Posix volume you are using , i mean Btrfs,ext3,ext2 ? and how you are browsing the cluster resource (NCP enabled Posix volume) , i am sure you add the cluster resource as the client in sesam and before that you format one clustered Disk with ext2/ext3/btrfs file system.

what credentials you put under "Novell SMS" tab while adding cluster resource as client ?

Thanks
Dhawal

cliogp

Post by cliogp » August 22nd, 2013, 1:43 pm

Hi,

it's a ext3 FS, I create the ressource via nssmu. The NCP volume works fine, the virtual NCP server is visible with slptool etc. I can migrate / online / offline the resource, user access is also possible.

The problem exist independent from Sesam. The Novell TSA tools (tsatest, de) are unable the browse the resource

tsatest --cluster --server cluster-ext3vol-server --path /media/ext3vol -u root -p <passsword>

I get the error:
0xFFFDFFC5 NWSMTS RESOURCE NAME NOT FOUND
Source: SMS, Target Services
Explanation: No resource name was found, or all resource names have been found.

The "de" Tool gives no error, but display in the wizard no (tsa)resource to backup.

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 28th, 2013, 5:23 am

Hi,

Sorry for late response , while adding cluster resource as the client in sesam can you please check by giving e-directory admin credentials in "Novell SMS" tab (for example - admin.novell and password ) .

Thanks
Dhawal

cliogp

Post by cliogp » September 6th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Hi,

sorry for the delay, I was out of office.

It's the same with eDir user.

The issue exist independently from sesam. Sesam use the same functions as tsatest do. So if tsatest doesn't work, sesam will also not work.

My question is, is the issue a misconfiguration in my environment or is it a bug ?
Clio