Regarding incremental backup and restore

Here you can write any Problems with Restores.

Moderator: sepma

Dhawal Pawar
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

Regarding incremental backup and restore

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 13th, 2013, 9:59 am

Hello,

I have SEP sesam installed on OES server and it is working fine. I take the Full backup of a NSS volume and now i created some new file inside that volume . After that i take the incremental backup of the volume , now when i restore the saveset , it restores all the data.

I am expecting only modified data should restored .I follow the normal procedure of restoring . in restoring wizard i choose the respective saveset and choose the data to restore (here also i see all the data) , i restore it and all the data of volume is restored , please let me know is any additional step i need to do to restore only modified data.

Thanks
Dhawal

cliogp

Re: Regarding incremental backup and restore

Post by cliogp » August 13th, 2013, 10:56 am

Hi,

what sesam restores, depends on your selection in the restore wizzard.

In step 3. select the inc saveset Type I .

1) At the bottom of the table you can see, per default the "Generation restore" is checked. In this case the complete chain from the last full to the selected inc is used as source for restore.

1 a) If you now check the "complete restore of selected task", a restore of the complete chain from full... to inc will happen.

1 b) If you click "next", you can select the files to restore. You can see all files that backed up from full to selected inc . Sesam restores allways the latest version.

2) Deselect the "Generation restore", only the selected inc saveset will used as source for restore.

2 a) and 2 b) same as 1) with other source

Clio

Dhawal Pawar

Post by Dhawal Pawar » August 13th, 2013, 11:56 am

One thing more i need to ask is what kind of modifications in file is considered while taking the incremental backup ??

for example : If i modify trustee metadata , user quota , directory quota , file attributes etc of a file then i run a incremental backup , does all the files with modified trustee metadata , user quota , directory quota , file attributes are backed up ?

Thanks
Dhawal

cliogp

Post by cliogp » August 13th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Hi,

yes, sesam checks also the ctime value.

Clio

shadsong

Post by shadsong » August 21st, 2013, 2:56 pm

Note that SEP does not support mtime. We found out the hard way

If folders are renamed or moved and an incremental or differential is ran, you go to the restore window none of the files will show up underneath those folders. It will only appear after you run a full backup. Imagine your worst case scenario when you only run a diff from Monday to Saturday and a Full on Sunday and your server die on Saturday. Any folders renamed moved etc from Mon to Saturday will not be restored!

cliogp

Post by cliogp » August 26th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Hi all,

SEP support the mtime (modification time). If the content of a file is modified, the file will backed up by an DIFF or INC backup.
It seems, that there is an issue with the ctime (at the moment). The issue is under investigation.

If the content of moved or renamed files is unchanged, the files are included in the last FULL Backup, "only" with the old name / in the old folder. So you haven't any data loss.

Clio

cliogp

Post by cliogp » December 2nd, 2013, 4:11 pm

Hi all,

the ctime issue is a bug in the Novell SMDR / TSA infrastructure. You can reproduce the problem (renamed or moved files are not backed up by INC or DIFF backup) with the Novell on board backup tool nbackup.

Do a full backup of an NSS volume / folder witj nbackup , rename or move a file and do an INC or DIFF backup -> the file will not be included in the backup. With stat you can see, that the ctime is changed,

Clio