This is for the remaining stuff.

Moderator: sepma

TyroneSlothrop
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

Wrestling with client connectivity

Post by TyroneSlothrop » February 14th, 2012, 9:59 pm

All,

I am trying to evaluate whether SEP sesam will be an appropriate backup solution for my small company and am running into problems getting things going. I have successfully installed the server on one of my SLES 10 machines, but I am having a devil of a time getting my clients to connect.

I have installed the base client as well as the OES add-on client. I have placed entries in DNS for both server and client, I have run the sm_setup set_client command, and opened up all necessary ports on both firewalls. Still, when trying to test connectivity to the client on my server I have to wait for about 5 minutes before the following return codes:

E001-HOSTS Configuration of UNIX backup client <client-name> completed with errros.
E013-HOSTS Backup from <client-name> cannot return to <server-name> - please check (ping, DNS, local STPD).

What am I missing? I had a single test client working successfully for a bit, but now I am unable to get any subsequent clients working. I am very new to SEP Sesam, but am pretty confident with linux. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan Schultz

jgb

Re: Wrestling with client connectivity

Post by jgb » February 21st, 2012, 9:53 am

Hi Jonathan,

check the following:

<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam/sm_setup check_resolution <name of Sesam Server>
<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam/sm_setup check_resolution <name of client>

Do this on the Sesam Server AND on the client. Both must have the same results for the name resolution and also for the reverse resolution.

Check firewall and the hosts file on both machines. It's important, that 127.0.0.1 is localhost and not "servername" .

JGB

juliusg

Post by juliusg » November 17th, 2016, 10:53 am

Dear JGB,

I had the same problem with Jonathan. But I installed on Windows 10 64 bit. I already tried to search the directory you mentioned above but it is different from the linux system (I can't find it).

Could you please help me to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

juliusg

Post by juliusg » November 17th, 2016, 10:54 am

jgb wrote:Hi Jonathan,

check the following:

<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam/sm_setup check_resolution <name of Sesam Server>
<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam/sm_setup check_resolution <name of client>

Do this on the Sesam Server AND on the client. Both must have the same results for the name resolution and also for the reverse resolution.

Check firewall and the hosts file on both machines. It's important, that 127.0.0.1 is localhost and not "servername" .

JGB
Dear JGB,

I had the same problem with Jonathan. But I installed on Windows 10 64 bit. I already tried to search the directory you mentioned above but it is different from the linux system (I can't find it).

Could you please help me to solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance.

jgb

Post by jgb » November 17th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Hi,

on Windows systems the path is

C:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam

JGB

juliusg

Post by juliusg » November 18th, 2016, 3:44 am

jgb wrote:Hi,

on Windows systems the path is

C:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam

JGB
Hi JGB,

Thank you for your response. Does the file should I config is the sm_setup.exe? I try to open it but it just pop up a sceond and then it closed. Is it normal or is there any other file should I open to config?

The probem is, I create 2 vm which run on win 10 64 bit each (I am using VMware workstation), and I already installed the SEP sesam server and SEP sesam client. Both vm could have ping each other (server and client). But on the SEP sesam server I got the error message (E013-HOSTS Backup from (client name) cannot return to (server name) - please check (ping, DNS, local STPD).)

Please help, I am new to this and I supposed to be the presales engineer of SEP sesam at my company. Currently I am studying about the SEP sesam.

Thank you.

jgb

Post by jgb » November 18th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Hi,

open am CMD or Powershell as Administrator on the sesam Server and execute the following commands:

C:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam\sm_setup check_resolution <name of Sesam Server>
C:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam\sm_setup check_resolution <name of client>

Next, open am CMD or Powershell as Administrator on the sesam client and execute the following commands:

C:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam\sm_setup check_resolution <name of Sesam Server>

The output should be on both systems the same. (resolution name to IP and IP to name)

It's also possible that a firewall blocks the connection between client and server.

JGB

juliusg

Post by juliusg » November 18th, 2016, 6:48 pm

jgb wrote:Hi,

open am CMD or Powershell as Administrator on the sesam Server and execute the following commands:

Next, open am CMD or Powershell as Administrator on the sesam client and execute the following commands:

The output should be on both systems the same. (resolution name to IP and IP to name)

It's also possible that a firewall blocks the connection between client and server.

JGB
Dear JGB,

Thank you for your help. I already did the instruction you mentioned aabove. Both output in sesam Server and cient have the same. Also I already turned off my firewall on both machine. But I still have the same error message when I try to create a new client in sesam Server.

Any idea where else have I the incorrect instruction?

cliogp

Post by cliogp » November 30th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Hi,

for testing you can add the client DNS name in the hosts file of the server and also add the server DNS name in the hosts file of the client. So you can exclude the DNS name resolution as the problem.

Try a ping from client to server and server to client. Check if in the hosts file wrong entries. 127.0.0.1 should be "localhost" and not servername.

JGB