Using a Remote Device Server

This is for the remaining stuff.

Moderator: sepma

heinzk1
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

Using a Remote Device Server

Post by heinzk1 » July 1st, 2013, 3:34 pm

We are wanting to use an offsite server to backup our disk backup done at our main office.

I am assuming I would need to install the Remote Device server software on the remote server but is that all?

Also what ports are needed to be opened on the fire wall?

Is the transmission from server to server encrypted or should all of the this be done Via VPN?

Just wondering,
Ken

cliogp

Re: Using a Remote Device Server

Post by cliogp » July 3rd, 2013, 2:08 pm

Hi Ken,

I think a backup of the backup isn't the best idea. The question is, what would you like to do with the offsite data ?
Most time this copy is for disaster recovery. How fast or slow is your connection between your locations ? Is a backup and restore over this connection possible ?

If yes:
- use a VPN tunnel if the connection isn't your LAN
- install a Sesam remote device server on the offsite server
- create migration tasks ( Disk to Disk; Sesam main office to RDS offsite )

-in case of disaster -> recover your Sesam server in the main office (SESAM_BACKUP), then restore your data over the VPN connection from RDS

If no:
- a block level replication (independent from Sesam) is the better choice ( from hardware vendor or Linux DRBD )

-in case of disaster -> recover your Sesam Server in the main office (SESAM_BACKUP), bring back the hardware (with replicated data) to your main office and connect the hardware to your new (recovered) Sesam server -> restore your data

Clio

heinzk1
Spam Stop: No
SEP sesam: Software

Re: Using a Remote Device Server

Post by heinzk1 » July 3rd, 2013, 2:30 pm

Thanks for the information. I don't think the speeds are going to fast enough but we are going to try and see if it will work.

Thanks again,
Ken